Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My year as a children's author

Maggie's Monkeys was released a year ago today, so this seems like a good time to look back on my experience as the author of a children's book. It's been one of the best things that has ever happened to me -- from the great launch party at Blue Marble Books to discovering last week that a reviewer on Amazon wrote that her 3-year-old loved the book and understood it was about 'mag-nation.

Through the opportunities the book has opened, I've had the chance to meet lots of interesting authors and to play with lots of little kids. The letters and drawings from classes, the parents who tell me their child asked to read it again, the brother and sister named Jack and Margie whose mom choked up when she talked about the relationship of their (almost) namesakes... it's all been unbelievable fun.

This weekend, I'll be at a book fair and will have the chance to meet even more readers and authors. It's the last of my scheduled events and a perfect capstone to the year. I'm honored and proud to have been allowed into young readers' lives. I'm grateful for all the people -- starting with Howard and Abbie, the rest of my family and friends -- who supported me and reveled with me throughout the long process of getting to publication and the fun afterwards.

Here are a few highlights:

A reader's version of the cover.

The French version.


A child with his "find the invisible monkey" sheet (and his car).

And a teacher's blog with Maggie's Monkeys on her Shelfari.

Thank you to everyone who's been part of this terrific year!