Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Evidence that I don't have a clue what's likely to get published



If anyone had asked me, I would have said this title would never work as a kids' book. What kid even knows what a bunion is? And the story is in rhyme? No way. I'd have guessed that no editor would touch it.

I would have been wrong. An editor liked it, reviewers liked it -- and I'm sure kids like it. Author Marsha Hayles has served up what Kirkus called a "bouncy rib-tickler."

Bunion Burt had feet that hurt.
They pinched and poked and pained him.
The folks all knew
‘Bout Burt’s feet too-
His bunions helped nickname him.


I guess that's why it's a good thing there are lots of editors and publishers and book buyers. Because one person's take on things (mine, anyway) can be completely off base.