Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Great minds


I just saw this interview at Cynsations with M.T. Anderson on the subject of my last post. Not that he or the incredibly helpful blogger-interviewer Cynthia Leitich Smith (who has done a series of interviews on writing across formats) was responding to me. But it's interesting to hear thoughts on the subject from a National Book Award winner:

"After I write one kind of thing, I have a natural inclination to write something that feels as different as possible, to stretch myself in another way."

If you haven't read Feed or the first Octavian Nothing,  I recommend them. I haven't gotten to Volume II of Octavian yet. But I was surprised by how much I liked the first one -- as the synopsis didn't sound like something I'd enjoy. When a book outside your usual genres  or topic areas captures you, that's something special.