Thursday, August 6, 2009

Trash and treasure

And on the other side of the discussion, The American Scene hosted a debate about the worst children's books ever. It got pretty heated at times, and I wouldn't recommend following the comments if you're a fan of The Giving Tree.

I bet almost everyone will find a book or two they enjoyed that got nominated as the worst. Even such "perennial favorites" as Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are make appearances. (Fox in Socks, which I used to illustrate my previous post, was a favorite at my house when I was a kid for its tongue-twisterly fun. But someone nominated it for the worst ever list because of its "sheer headachy nonsense and strained rhymes.")

I like how different we all are. At least, I do on my good days. When I'm feeling less optimistic, I find it amazing that so many people are just flat-out wrong.

Ah, the humanity.