Friday, January 22, 2010

From the mouths of boys


I woke up tired and tapped out today. Then when I checked my email, I found a Google alert letting me know of a blog post that mentioned Maggie's Monkeys. It turned out to be the Smitizen News, written by Ms. Smits about her fourth-grade class at Holmes Elementary in Spring Lake, MI. After a project where she used picture books to help her students with fluency, she wrote:
"Each child had a picture book, we worked on pausing, phrasing, stress, intonation, rate or pace, and integration (putting all the pieces together). Each child practiced alone, with Mrs. Smits, and with a partner who gave them wonderful advice on how to improve their fluency. When they were ready, they recorded their reading in to the computer."
 As you've no doubt figured out by now, a certain astute student named Hunter chose MM. And I got to listen to him read it aloud. He did a great job and it was so much fun to hear what he chose to emphasize and how he interpreted the dialogue. I found myself clapping my hands with delight, sitting here alone with the computer.

Thanks, Ms. Smits and Hunter, for brightening my day!